Monday, November 5, 2012

Balcony Garden, Eggs and Basil.. SEEDLINGS!!

Hello everyone! It’s been awhile since I’ve updated you with my balcony garden and the eggs and basil seeds experiment. I have been meaning to keep you updated but there are so many things I want to blog about. I don’t think there is enough time to write it all down. Now I understand how blogging itself can be a full time job! I salute everyone that is able to blog everyday.

OK back to the eggs, basil, and my balcony garden update! Oakley and I are so proud to announce that we have seedlings sprouting! Yes it worked beautifully without any effort. As you probably read on a previous post, I was able to grab a couple of seeds from my basil plant. After some research, I thought the idea of sprouting the seeds from an eggshell would be fun and a useful reuse of eggshells. Just in case.. click here to read the previous blog on what steps I did. Back to what I was saying, I DID IT!

During this experiment I tried 2 different procedures. I kept 1 egg out in normal balcony conditions. What I mean by normal is that I kept it out with other plants. The rosemary plant shaded the eggs because I was afraid it would be too much sun. I watered it every other day and just kept an eye on it. I was sure not to over water it. Most of the time I sprinkled it with water just to make sure the soil was moist.

The 2nd procedure was a “Mickey Mouse” job. I pretty much tried to recreate a green house effect by keeping the egg in a plastic bag. I pretty much place the egg in a carton that I placed into a plastic bag. I sprayed some water just to have some kind of moisture. It was a really poorly attempt to build a mini size green house. I didn’t even take photos of it.. maybe on my next post I’ll show you.




I have to say.. I did notice a difference in the plants. Here is the first basil plant grown in “normal” conditions. You’ll notice a small leave popping out from the soil. When I saw this I was so excited! I actually picked the phone and called my loved one at work. Ha Ha. But here is a tiny plant starting to grow. From the looks of it, she’s going to be a shy one.

























As for the 2nd plant, you can really notice a difference! Look how tall these babies are. They really stretched out and were not shy at all. Looks like these boys are going to be strong. Look, there are 4 seedlings.. I hope this does not cause over crowding.















By the way, I did try another seedling in a small container. I wanted to see the difference in growth. In this photo you’ll notice a slight green dot on the top right corner. Take a good look or you’ll miss it. It looks like something is growing but this one may be too young to come out and play just yet. Let’s give him a couple more days.


I have to admit it is so rewarding to see the little seedlings! It all started as a little seed and now little seedlings. I could only imagine when they become full grown plants! I’m so excited.. actually my family is a little excited also. They already claimed the plants… but but but.. they’re my babies!  So I started a couple more!  Woo Hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment